Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Why I Like To Write


I’m always amazed when people ask me why I like to write. Really! I like to write for the same reason people like to garden, or swim, or walk, or play music—I enjoy it.  Often, I receive well meaning advice about what I should be writing and how to write it, and not to make light of any suggestions, I’m not capable of constructing a story on anything other than what’s in my head. Even though it would be wonderful, it doesn’t matter if others like my work or not, it’s my work and the story is what my thought process reveals.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always loved writing. At school, homework assignments of compositions in both Irish-Gaelic and English were always enthusiastically tackled. Stories about travel and adventure were especially my favorites and when my Junior Certificate Composition selection offered ‘A Shipwrecked Sailor tells his Story’ I was immediately transported to saving the day on a faraway island.

Currently, I have about six different stories that have begun their life on paper and are just waiting for the rest of the story to percolate.  I guess it’s time to make coffee.

And you, why do you like to write?

2 comments:

  1. I like to write because I lose myself in the enjoyment of the crafting of sentences and paragraphs. I started out as a writer (many years ago) and have been out of it for a while, so I'm just beginning again. Scary, but I am compelled to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to read something you've written. Compulsion is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete